Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Challenging Possibilities

I have started reading the book “Bright Evening Star” by Madeleine L’Engle, in which she contemplates the Incarnation. It’s a wonderful book! I’m loving every word. She talks about discoveries in science: Galileo’s theory that the earth is not actually the center of the universe; Bruno’s claim of the existence of a plurality of worlds and their eternity; Darwin’s theory of evolution.

“Our growth in knowledge changed our understanding of the universe, but surely it neither changed nor threatened God…Could God love us as much if we were merely a planet in an ordinary solar system in a spiral galaxy, instead of the center of the universe? To some people it seemed that the intimate God who loves us, knows us, blesses us, could not be great enough to cope with the billions of galaxies flying away from us and still have attention for us creatures. But yes! Yes, our God is great enough to love us despite the enormity of Creation.”

I once read most of the book “The Case for a Creator” and I remember coming away with the feeling that God wants me to know I am not at the center of the universe. All things revolve around Him and His love and His holiness; all things are sustained by His omnipotence and His omniscience and His self-existence.

She considers the question of free will a little and makes this comment:

“When it was believed that everything was already predetermined, from the beginning to the end, free will was more of an empty phrase than a challenging possibility.”

I consider the term “challenging possibility” and remember that Jesus said, “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Matt 5:48). Maybe a wee bit more than “challenging” but Jesus didn’t say it for no reason. Then I remember that He said, “With God all things are possible” (Matt 19:26).

Speaking of challenging possibilities, the other day I discovered that I actually like my boss. It was a surprise to me. And a few days later he told me I was doing a good job! And that he and Krista will miss me when I go! And now, every once in awhile, they make comments about how maybe I should abandon ministry and stay with them.

My church has just resumed going through the book of Ephesians, picking back up in chapter 4. Three words were defined for us on Sunday.

Humility: setting aside what could be yours for the benefit of another
Gentleness: cutting someone a break, especially when they don’t deserve it
Patience: making allowances for someone else’s shortcomings

Free will.
Imagine – instead of grasping for power, authority, etc – being humble, gentle, and patient. Imagine the Body of Christ being knit together as one. Imagine my boss and me not only tolerating each other, not only getting along but sharing life, walking alongside each other, holding each other up... seeing Jesus in one another (no way!).

Sometimes (most of the time) the only reason I don't live this way is because I don't trust God; I don't fully understand that He has a plan and if I surrender to it, all things will come out right.

I look back at that day Dave was angry with me and I'm so glad for how I trusted God. It's a moment to marvel at and feel excited about and be proud of.

I have to go.

1 comment:

t.emerson said...

Well put, and good job at staying faithful. I've had a similar situation recently. Can't wait to see you!