Monday, November 17, 2008

Proverbs 17:4

“An evildoer listens to wicked lips, a liar pays attention to a destructive tongue.” Proverbs 17:4

One thing I am constantly reminded of as I go through Proverbs every month is how human I am. Every day I read something about the wicked doing this or a fool is that way, and half the time I am reminded of myself. Yikes!

One example is:

“A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Proverbs 15:1

I am very bad at controlling my temper. I often say things I regret. I know this, yet the next time I get angry I will once again say something in such a way that will piss someone off or hurt their feelings. Why? Where is my self-control in these situations?

“The one who guards his mouth preserves his life; the one who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.” Proverbs 13:3

Yeah, I have a big mouth. I’ve gotten myself in trouble many times for my big mouth.

“The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man is one who listens to counsel.” Proverbs 12:15

How many times have a rejected what friends or others have said to me, without even really listening, because I so strongly felt that I was right? More often then I can count!

The first Proverb typed above is today’s reminder of my humanness. As I read it every month, it has called attention to one of the ways I react when I speak with friends. If a friend is sharing her woes with me, complaining about a coworker or another friend, I tend to talk big. “You shouldn’t put up with that type of treatment,” I say. Or, “I’d give that person a piece of my mind.”

The opposite is also true. If I am sharing my woes with a friend, she will usually also talk big. (The same “You shouldn’t put up with that; I’d give that person a piece of my mind” etc). And I listen to it!

Really? Am I Christian or do I subscribe to the juvenile idealism of “fairness“?

All we’re really doing is sewing strife into one another’s hearts (Proverbs 15:18). If this is true, how are we really supposed to react? What sort of counsel should we actually be striving to give and receive?

I guess that takes us to what Jesus said.

“But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you in order that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven…” Matthew 5:44-45a.

Or what Paul, inspired by God, said:

“I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, entreat you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing forbearance to one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” Eph 4:1-3

Or what possibly another disciple (also inspired by God) said:

“…and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds…” Hebrews 10:24.

While Proverbs is pointing out my humanness, it is also giving me hope. Just yesterday I read, “He who gives attention to the word shall find good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord.” Proverbs 16:20.

I fully believe that the Holy Spirit is working in me to convict me of my sins and inconsistencies so I can continue to grow in my relationship with the Lord. That’s a good thing. That makes me happy.

No comments: